Smart Mummy’s Guide:
Look and feel your best during those nine pregnant months by following this prenatal fitness plan with PowerMoves Pilates in the Park 🙂
Nestled within the latest medical wellness, shopping and lifestyle hub, PowerMoves is now located at Novena Specialist Centre. With hourly Pilates classes that provide total body conditioning to help enhance physical fitness, improve posture and balance, build bone density and increase muscle mass ~ indulge in customized Pilates programmes designed to nurture you to perfection.
Every PowerMoves Pilates class also helps you to:
– strengthen your core and improve your flexibility.
– overcome injury and relieve pain.
– stretch your body and lengthen your muscles.
– feel stronger, leaner and more toned.
– stand taller and breathe better.
– teach your mind focus and body awareness.
– recharge so you feel positively different.
PowerMoves’ award-winning, tropical resort Pilates studios offer you a buffet of Pilates classes ~ including the ever-popular Pilates Matwork, Pilates Reformer, Pilates Tower, PreNatal Pilates, as well as customized Physio Pilates sessions and our very own Power Pilates Promise package.
In Joseph Pilates’ words, “in 10 sessions, you’ll feel the difference; in 20, you’ll see the difference; in 30, you’ll have a whole new body.”
Experience a new capacity and confidence founded on fitness and wellness through Pilates ~ at PowerMoves.
@ NOVENA SPECIALIST CENTRE,
8 SINARAN DRIVE, #02-05, SINGAPORE 307470. T: (65) 6455 2221
Runners usually exhibit great strength in their legs but may have issues with tightness in the hips, with lower back or knee pains, and/or problems with balance. Pilates exercises help runners improve on their core strength allowing them better posture while maintaining the balance in the muscles of the back and hips. Pilates also teaches runners proper breath control which help to increases their stamina and endurance.
The chosen exercises herein are beneficial to the runner because they challenge the core and emphasize the neutral positioning of the pelvis and hips. They also help correct postural imbalances, create flexibility and stretch the lower body.
For all exercises, remember to draw your shoulders down towards your hips and far from your ears, and keep your abdominal muscles engaged while long in the waist.
Lie on one side leaning on the elbow of the lower arm with hands behind your head. Stabilise the bottom leg on the floor and hold the top leg at hip height. Minimise the rocking of your trunk by engaging your abdominal muscles. As you exhale, swing the top leg as far forward as possible with a flexed foot. On your inhale, swing the top leg as far back as possible while pointing your foot and elongating your leg. Keep your pelvis neutral and quiet throughout as you repeat the back-and-forth swing 12 times.
Lie on your back with arms out in a T-position. Legs are together, straight and slightly pointed. Exhale as you bend one leg in toward your chest and straighten it upward, perpendicular to the floor, foot flexed. Keep other leg and pelvis on the mat quiet and stable. Inhale as you circle the raised leg inward past the centre of your body, then down and around. Make your circle only as big as you can without moving your hips and pelvis. Exhale on the next circle, alternating the breathing on each circle. Repeat 10 times before switching to the other leg.
Lie face down on mat with legs and arms. Inhale as you slowly lift right arm and left leg off mat as high as you can (extending fully your arms and legs away from each other in opposite directions). Hold for one count and then lower to start as you exhale. Repeat on opposite side and work up to 12 reps on each side.
Sit upright with straight legs opened slightly beyond shoulder-width, feet flexed. Arms are in T-position reaching far out to the opposite sides. Inhale as you rotate your torso to face the side of room. Keep pelvis anchored as you move the arms and head with the trunk. On the exhale, reach forward long over the leg, left hand extending past small toe of right leg. Inhale to extend farther deepening the stretch of hanstrings and lower back. Exhale to pull yourself back up to sitting tall, rotate back to centre starting position and repeat to the other side. Work up to 6 reps on each side.
Lie back with legs straight and arms extended overhead (but not touching the floor). Pull belly button in toward your spine. Exhale as you bring arms overhead and lift shoulder blades off the mat, curling all the way up until arms are parallel to legs. Exhale again as you slowly uncurl back to start. Do this 8 times.
Lie prone engaging abdominal muscles, lift the chest and extend the back. Your legs are in a straight line behind you, lifted off the mat. Place your elbows directly under the shoulders, your lower arms parallel to each other. On the exhale, bend the right leg and pulse it twice. As you straighten the right leg, bend the left leg to pulse twice on the next exhale. Repeat the pulses while alternating legs working up to 10 sets of pulses each leg.
• Keeping Fit while Having Fun in our integrated waterways and parklands: Through Singapore’s ABC (active, beautiful and clean) waters programme, more people are finding new vibrancy and quality of life in our revamped parks. With meandering rivers and tranquil lushness spanning the length of our urbanised city-state from Pandan to Punggol and Bedok to Bishan, families are embracing the outdoors in the park for fun and fitness as a way of life.
• Low Impact but High Yield Exercises through Pilates: People today are growing more affluent but the population is ageing and the stresses of balancing work and family can be intense. Both physical health and mental wellness have become a priority. Besides lengthening and strengthening your muscles, Pilates is low-impact on the body and benefits your emotional health. The smooth, steady movements calm your mind and soothe your nervous system. Pilates improves your circulation and builds endurance in a therapeutical way. Each workout will leave you feeling calm, centred and balanced, and you walk out of each class looking leaner, taller and more toned; and feeling recharged and youthful.
• Multiple Benefits in One Regime: Men and women today have less time but want all the benefits available from a cardiovascular workout (to build endurance and burn fat), interval training (to intensify workouts and calorie-burn), and weight training (to maintain bone density and increase muscle mass ~ the more muscle you build, the more efficient your metabolism will be). Pilates offers them their choice of all these benefits in one fitness regime.
Here in Singapore, we would like to see you:
• Make healthy food choices ~ fruits and vegetables have antioxidants that protect against major illnesses, calcium is good for our bones, protein like fish aids cell renewal and keeps your heart healthy, fibre-rich foods leave you feeling more satisfied for longer;
• Stay active ~ the body was created to be a moving one ~ do something you enjoy, do it with a friend or a trainer, do it often and do it right!
Here at PowerMoves Pilates in the Park, our new programmes for you:
• Unlimited Matwork ~ four weeks is all it takes to strengthen and tighten the muscles holding your body together ~ look and feel positively different with your daily dose of Pilates in just one month ~ now $498, usually $698;
• Jumpstart Fitness ~ achieving your 2011 resolution of a fit & fab body thru Pilates ~ every workout forces the use of core muscles and combines the benefits of strength training, calorie burn and the flexibility benefits of Yoga ~ 10 sessions for $600 now, usually $760!
Your partner in fitness through Pilates 🙂
The home-grown fitness brand, PowerMoves was recently honoured as the recipient of the SHAPE 2011 Best of the Best Award for Most Outstanding Service Quality.
PowerMoves’ win was ultimately determined by readers’ recommendations and votes. Glowing accolades from readers and clients were peppered with words like ‘professional’, ‘reliable’, ‘committed’, ‘patient’, ‘caring’ and ‘passionate’.
The latter echoes the pledge of CEO and Founder, Claudel Kuek, who says: “At PowerMoves, we are passionate in our service to clients, finding the best fit for every client and class. We do our utmost to ensure the highest standards of care and conduct at every level of our operations.”
SHAPE, the Singapore edition, is itself no stranger to awards. The dedicated health and fitness magazine is the MPAS (Magazine Publishers Association of Singapore) Health/Fitness Magazine Gold Award Winner for 2010. Its annual SHAPE Awards are widely recognized as an authoritative arbiter of standards in the health and fitness industries.
While on the subject of awards, the latest honour conferred upon PowerMoves adds to an impressive trophy cabinet. PowerMoves’ Bishan Park studio was voted Most Beautiful Studio in the World by Balanced Body® in 2009, the foremost Pilates authority in the US. It received the selfsame honour the following year when it was voted Most Beautiful Pilates Studio in the SHAPE 2010 Awards. On entering this tranquil oasis, flooded with sunlight filtered through lush greenery, it’s not hard to understand why.
Though awards are gratifying, and serve to maintain and push standards ever higher, Claudel Kuek attains the greatest satisfaction from helping her clients optimise their personal fitness and hence lead fuller, richer lives. Perhaps her personal philosophy best explains all: “I believe in always being the best you can be, in whatever path you choose to take.”
In PowerMoves’ case, ‘the best you can be’ happens to be the ‘Best of the Best’, according to the SHAPE 2011 Awards. And you can’t get better than that!
PowerMoves Pilates in the Park is located @Dempsey 6ix and 7even, 6 Dempsey Road, Singapore 249683; and @Aramsa ~ the Garden Spa, Bishan Park 2, Singapore 569931.
Written by Suzanne Lauridsen
For PowerMoves Pilates in the Park 🙂
When I moved to Singapore I was keen to try a different form of exercise. After looking around, I decided to join the classes at PowerMoves Pilates in the Park. I’ve been attending classes there regularly for the past two years.
The staff at PowerMoves made me feel welcome from the very beginning. My Pilates instructor instantly recognised my postural type and was able to tailor exercises to suit me. The classes are always varied, well thought out and great fun.
My posture has improved hugely, my back is much stronger and I’m working on a six-pack! I’ve increased my body awareness and I’m able to apply the Pilates principles to other activities I enjoy, like horse riding and running. I’ve also made some great friends! 🙂